Thursday, January 15, 2009

Andy Bohmbach Week: In his own words

As the end of Andy Bohmbach Week quickly approaches, this morning I thought it'd be nice to share with you some things that Andy was kind enough to share with us here at the blog.

60: What aspects of your game did you work on from last year to this year during the offseason?

AB: The biggest aspect I worked on over the summer was my strength and speed. If you can be bigger and faster than the guy next to you, you will be a better player.

60: After playing in 17 games as a freshman and 18 games as a sophomore, you've already played in 21 games this season (missing just the UNH game on 11/11/08, I think), and you've become a regular staple of the lineup. (And we couldn't be happier about that!) What do you think you've done to earn that regular spot?

AB: I think what got me where I am today is persistence. I kept on working and working hoping to get a regular spot and I finally did.

60: You've been a regular on the PK, and we think you've been really solid. Can you talk a little bit about your role on the PK?

AB: To start off, I love penalty killing. This is my first year on the P.K. with the Badgers but I have done a lot of it in the past so it's really not all that new too me. Every penalty killer has the same role, and that is to be a hard worker who is willing to block shots and get the puck out of the zone.

60: I think the 1st time you were elevated to the first line was for the Saturday 11/1 game @ UND. Eaves indicated he bumped you and Gorowsky to the top line because the two of you did the things that the coaching staff was asking for on Friday. What types of things was Eaves referring to?

AB: I think what he was talking about was the simple things. When you're on the fourth line you have to be really simple and play really hard.

60: After playing mostly on the 4th line your first 2 years, you've played on the top 3 lines this season, including a number of games on the top line. Most recently, you've been on the top line with Blake Geoffrion and Tom Gorowsky. Can you talk a little bit about that line, its chemistry, etc.?

AB: I think this year we don't really have a top line so to say. Every line we have contributes in different ways that help the team win. I feel playing with Tom and Blake is a good line. We are all kind of the same types of players which makes for great chemistry.

60: You had your 1st collegieate 3-pt game in the Badgers' 5-0 victory over Alabama-Huntsville in this year's Showdown, recording 1 goal and 2 assists. Can you share your thoughts about your play in that game?

AB: As a team I thought that was one of our best games of the year. We put up 60 shots and only let up 10. When your team is playing that well it is easier for everyone to get scoring chances. That night the puck bounced in my favor. Some nights it can bounce in the other direction but that night I felt good and I got the bounces.

60: What do you think about this year's changes in how the game is officiated in an attempt to mirror the way the NHL is officiated?

AB: I don't think the changes are that noticeable. Obviously they are calling the game a bit tighter but the players have adapted which means there are less penalties called.

60: If you had a theme song for yourself, what would it be? (Stupid question, I know, but I'm a sucker for theme songs, as you could probably tell by the title of all of my Friday gameday posts.)

AB: That is a tough question. I have not really thought about a theme song for myself before. If I really had to pick one I would say "Dig" by Incubus. It is one of my favorite songs.

(Now that's just not true, Andy; you were asked the question once before for one of the "Ask the Badgers" segment shown on the jumbotron at the KC in between periods last year, so you can't tell me never thought about it. I will allow that you didn't think very hard about it, although I did find your answer of one of the tracks from "Jock Jams, Vol 2" fairly humorous. I don't know why I remember this; I guess I'm just a sucker for theme songs and easily amused.)

60: Anything else you'd like to share with Badger fans?

AB: I want to thank all of you for coming to our games every weekend and following us when we are on the road. It means a lot to us knowing that we have dedicated fans that actually care about us. I want to end on one last note: our goal is to win the national title and bring it back to Madison. " On Wisconsin!"

Thanks again to Andy for taking the time to answer our questions and of course for being a Badger. On Wisconsin!
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey