Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jack Skille fighting to make opening day roster

I posted some Jack Skille stuff yesterday and today, yet somehow I missed this article on the Blackhawks site. The article indicates that Skille may be competing with Troy Brouwer for the last open roster spot at forward. Here are some quotes from Skille, Hawks GM Dale Tallon, and Hawks Head Coach Denis Savard:
Skille: I’ve just got to be consistent every time I’m on the ice. Just show up every shift. Every time I’m on the ice – do the things I do best. Drive the net, shoot the puck, be responsible with the puck, check the puck… I want them to notice me every time I’m out there.

Tallon: We don’t want to hold back our young guys. I’m anxious to see the young guys [including Skille and Brouwer] fighting for that forward spot. We’re going to give them every opportunity to make the hockey club.

Savard: [Skille] was outstanding. He’s in great shape and it’s showed in these games; guys who are well-conditioned get ahead of everybody. [Brouwer], if he’s going to continue playing the way he has, it’ll be tough to return him. His conditioning has been remarkable and it shows in his game.
The article indicates that during the offseason Skille worked on his hands and his shot.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey