Friday, May 2, 2008

Awakening from a Temporary Hibernation

Photo from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I haven't been hibernating, because Badgers are not true hibernators. But depending on the climate, some Badgers become torpid and "temporarily hibernate". During this dormant time, a Badger's heart rate and body temperature drop, but not to the extent of a true hibernator. Also, distractions can wake Badgers up during this dormant period, whereas true hibernators would remain inactive.

So, the offseason has apparently sent me into a torpor, but I have been awakened by various Badger Hockey related things. So I thought I'd pop my head up from my "burrow" and catch up on those things. (Don't expect too much from me, as I'm still a bit sluggish, and I expect that the off-season will periodically cause further torpor. Luckily for me, and for Badger Fans everywhere, Gandalf and Chuck have been doing a bang-up job!)

Anyway, keep your eyes open the rest of this weekend, as I expect to have a belated piece on Gold and Silver Medal Badgers, Calder Cup Badgers, and perhaps (if I have enough time) a little tribute to Tom Gilbert's first complete NHL season.

Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey