Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Men's Player Previews: #16 Sean Dolan

Vitals:

Position: Forward
Year in School: Sophomore
Shoots Right
Height: 6-3
Weight: 195
Hometown: Chesterfield, MO
Previous Team: Chicago Steel (USHL) in 06/07

NHL Considerations: None at this time, but I could see Sean at some level of the pros following his time at UW.

07/08 Stats: 40 games, 4-4-8, +1, 32 PIM
06/07 Stats: 59 games, 22-18-40, -18, 76 PIM

08/09 Role: Grind Line, PK

07/08 Recap: Sean played in all 40 games for the Badgers last year. Why is that important, you might ask? Sean was a late pick up for the Badgers and going into the season I figured he was going to be a guy who found a little ice time during the WJC or because of injury. Instead, Sean comes out as the center of what would become the "grind line" and never looked back, even notching his first goal as a Badger in his first game in Dayton, OH. I remember hearing a few weeks into the season that he was even pushing Blake Geoffrion for 2nd line center, before Blake took off in his own right. Sean played well all season, which is consistent w/ the line he played on. It didn't take long for Sean to pass Kyle Turris as my favorite Badger. I like his style of play and the fact that he stepped in as a last minute signing and played well beyond expectations.

08/09 Thoughts: I expect more of the same from Sean this season. Similar to my Ben Grotting post, I hope the coaches leave Mitchell-Dolan-Grotting together to start the year. I don't think Sean will have a big impact on scoring this season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him bury 10+ pucks in his upperclassmen seasons. That said, I think this line can cash in a few more goals, and contribute beyond the "checking"/"disruption" line they currently play. Sean is a solid player who brings his best every shift, and I for one am glad he is a Badger.

Prediction: 36 games, 6-6-12

Photo from uwbadgers.com
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey