Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quick Analysis of the Final NHL Central Scouting Rankings

Based on Chuck's earlier post, lets take a quick look at who moved up and down in the final addition of the NHL Central Scouting rankings.

Jake Gardiner -1
Cody Goloubef +14
Justin Schultz +18
Derek Stepan +14
Patrick Wiercioch +42
Tyler Barnes -2
Jordy Murray +18
Brock Montpetit -45

Nick Pryor was not previously ranked and sorry Nick for not knowing you were draft eligible this season.

Aaron Crandall -7.

Now all of these numbers are kinda irrelevant, they are just a placement based on discussions by all of the NHL's scouts, but Patrick Wiercioch's move up the rankings is quite impressive. Having seen him play after his thumb injury, I know why, he has incredible potential as a player.

On saturday I said that I thought Cody Goloubef and Jordy Murray would move up the charts some. I thought Jordy would be ranked higher, and I certainly won't be surprised to see him taken by the St. Louis Blues later in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody Goloubef drafted at the end of the 1st round by a team like Detroit. Teams know that Wisconsin prepares some good NHL talent, and he would be ready for a team after a few more seasons.

Overall a GREAT showing for future Badger recrutis, especially on the blue line. I'm really looking forward to the draft. Last year I watched the first round in excitement about KT, McD and Brendan Smith, but I found that I enjoyed learning all of the guys who might someday soon be taking regular shifts in the NHL, even if they are from the CHL. W/ all of this top talent coming in, I expect some great teams in the coming seasons.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey