Thursday, August 7, 2008

McDonagh/Gardiner updates

I updated last night's post with the game recaps/box scores, but I thought I'd put it here, too.

I asked Shawn Roarke how our Badgers are doing at the evaluation camp, and here's what he had to say:
As for McDonagh and Gardiner, the pride of Wisconsin, I’ll do my best to update you. I mentioned McDonagh earlier and raved about his penalty killing. He has been great in that area as Team White has been highly undisciplined in the first few games. He makes sound coverage decisions and has shown great closing speed. Those traits also contribute to his own-zone coverage at even strength. Coach Ron Rolston has regularly used McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk as his shut-down pairing in the first two games.

Jake Gardiner has been less visible so far for Team Blue, but that is because he has been given less of an opportunity. He is playing far fewer minutes and not seeing as much specialty time. I guess I would have to say I have not noticed him much in the first two games, but that is not always a bad thing for defensemen. He has been solid, if not spectacular. I hope that gives you your Badger fix.

I figure McDonagh is as close to a lock as you can get for making the WJC roster.

In her blog post today, Carly Peters has a couple comments on last night's games and tells us what the boys are up to today.

Hockey USA also has some video posted.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey