Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wishes for Sue Weekend

This week we welcome the North Dakota Fighting [nickname redacted] to the fair city of Madison and to the Kohl Center for a weekend series. One of my most cherished Badger hockey memories was the student section (with me being 25 feet away in 117) heckling T.J. Oshie so loudly that he couldn't be heard on TV during his intermission interview. I hope you students can do something as memorable this weekend. Now to the other things I want this weekend.

1. I want to see some discipline
Well, it's a Badger-Sioux series, and I see no way that these teams get through the weekend without at least a few scrums. I definitely want to see our guys sticking up for each other, but the key is to be smart about it. Don't blow a fuse, overreact, and then take dumb penalties for it. 

2. I want two sellouts
With the way the Badgers are playing so far this season and with a rival team like North Dakota in town, there's no good reason for the Kohl Center to have empty seats this weekend. Being tired out from a football game Saturday morning is no excuse. Go home, take a nap, and get re-energized for the second game. Besides, it's not like you have to get up by noon for a Packers game on Sunday!

3. I want the good goaltending to keep up
Gudmandson and Bennett have both looked quite good this season. They will be up against a good offensive team in North Dakota, who score 3.3 goals per game and are clicking at 25% on the power play. Control the rebounds, cover the puck, and just keep playing smart.

4. I want to see Zengerle's hot streak continue
First-Star is making everyone better on the top line with his great playmaking ability. I haven't seen a freshman look this impressive this early since Kyle Turris, and even he slowed down considerably against conference opponents. Z has no such issues so far, with 9 points in six WCHA games. Here's hoping he keeps it up against goaltenders Aaron Dell and Brad Eidsness.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey