Friday, November 26, 2010

Navin excited to be a Badger

Late Monday night we alerted you to the fact that in state superstar forward Brad Navin (pictured far left) had made a verbal commitment to Mike Eaves and the University of Wisconsin for 2012 or 2013 depending on his development and roster availability.

I was able to check in with big center over the Thanksgiving holiday and he was kind enough to take time away from the turkey to answer a few questions for our readers.

Chuck Schwartz: You've given a commitment to your home town Badgers. How does it feel as a Wisconsin kid to know you're going to be playing for UW in a few years?

Brad Navin: It's a great feeling! It's a dream come true! I've grown up watching and going to Badger games and have always wanted to be a Badger. Also it doesn't get any better to have my family and friends so close so they can come to watch. Nothing better than playing for your home State.

CS: I know you had other college options, can you give the fans a bit of a glimpse into your head on why you settled on Wisconsin?

Navin: I had two other schools in which I was considering, Ohio State and Bemidji State. I had to sit down and write down the pros and cons of each School. Ohio State was very close. Coach Oz has taken over the program and he is a great coach. Wisconsin has a great program, a great hockey tradition/reputation and is known for winning. The coaching staff there, Coach Eaves especially are top notch coaches and he is known for getting players to the next level, and I want to be apart of all that.

CS: You scored I believe something ridiculous like 52 goals last season. You had an opportunity to leave high school this year and play in the USHL. How tough was that decision to stay at Waupaca and give a run at a state championship?

Navin: Yeah this was definitely a very tough decision to make. Team Wisconsin played a big role in my decision too. We pick up play again in the Spring and as a Team we made a goal in the fall to make it to Nationals, and we believe we need every here to make that happen.

CS: Your commitment to Wisconsin means that you'll be teaming up with Team Wisconsin teammate Tim Davison (pictured top right next to Navin) who is also a 2012 or 2013 recruit. Can you give us a brief scouting report on his game and what it will be like to team up with him again in college?

Navin: Tim is a great kid and a great hockey player. He is very easy to get along with and has a great sense of humor. Tim is very good with the puck and can take control and slow the play down. He is not afraid to skate the puck up and get into the play. Being able to be teammates with Tim again in a few years will be awesome. We get along very well together as do our families. We've already talked about being roommates.

CS: NHL Central Scouting listed you as a "B" player to watch this fall. Something like that puts a target on your back especially coming back to high school hockey. Can you tell us what it's like having to deal with the expectations of living up to being put on a prestigious list like that?

Navin: Yes I agree with what you said with the target on my back. I have to come ready to compete day in and day out, I have to continue to work hard on and off the ice. Also I know many players on my team and at the younger age groups here in town look up to me and enjoy when I come out to their youth practices to help out, so I have to stay confident and be a great role model for many.

CS: I'm sure the Wisconsin fans want to know a little bit more about your game. They can see the stats you've put up at the high school level and with Team Wisconsin. Can you describe your game a little bit and what you think you can bring to the table when you get to Wisconsin?

Navin: I'm 6'2.5" so I would have to say I have size and strength in my advantage over many player, I have been told by many people that I have a high caliber shot. I've been a goal scorer a long with a play maker. I believe I have good vision on the ice to find the open man and to make plays. Coming to Wisconsin I think I can bring my size and my ability to score to the team.

Click here to view the statistics for all Wisconsin recruits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editors commentary: I just wanted to thank Brad once again for his time in answering some questions. We're very appreciative of him doing this for us. As with all Wisconsin recruits, we'll be tracking his progress for the next few years until he pulls on that Wisconsin Badgers sweater.

chuckschwartz@live.com
Follow me on Twitter
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey