Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dany Heatley "updates"

Ottawa GM Bryan Murray is setting the stage for Dany Heatley to remain with the Sens.
"We can fit both [Heatley and Kovalev] on our team very nicely, maybe one on left and one on right wing," Murray said after presenting Kovalev with the No. 27 shirt during an introductory news conference at Scotiabank Place.
When asked about Heatley, new Sen Alex Kovalev directs some blame back at the media:
"It's up to you guys," he told the media. "If you make it more comfortable for him, I'm sure he'd have no problem to stay."
Heatley himself has been keeping a low profile. (Thanks to goon for pointing out the article.)

Last week, Oilers Assistant GM Kevin Prendergast made the following statement to Dan Tencer regarding the Dany Heatley Predicament:
"I think we've given up hope on the Heatley scenario; but, I guess it's not dead in the water. But, at this point, it looks like we'll go to camp with the same team we finished with last year outside of a new goaltender."
(My apologies to whoever coined the phrase "Dany Heatley Predicament" -- I can't remember who you are, so I can't give you credit. But I like it, so I hope you don't mind my borrowing it.)

Ottawa Assistant GM Tim Murray said the deal isn't dead just yet but followed up by saying:
"I don’t know this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they came out tomorrow and said they’re out of it. I don’t know that that’s going to happen, but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised (given) it’s gone on this long."
Jonathan Willis and Robin Brownlee of Oilers Nation express relief that the Oilers finally seem to be moving on from chasing Dany Heatley.

And finally (for now, anyway), THN's Adam Proteau gives us a bit of perspective on the Predicament, reminding everyone that although the situation was mishandled, Dany Heatley isn't necessarily a bad guy.
I’ll never be mistaken as a Heatley apologist, but I have to say the vitriol directed at him is reaching ridiculous levels.

Did he and his advisors completely misread the mood and/or situation in Ottawa? No doubt – and I’d bet they would do things differently if they could get a situational mulligan.

Because of his actions, Heatley will experience more scrutiny and be afforded less professional leeway than at any point in his life, regardless of where he ends up. He’ll also need expensive earplugs each and every time he ventures to either Canada’s capital or Edmonton for as long as he lives.

But he isn’t Satan incarnate. All interested parties – fans included – should use all of August as a cooling-down period and look at the situation in September with some more perspective.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey