Friday, June 20, 2008

Gandalf's NHL Draft Predictions

W/ an hour to spare before the 2008 NHL Entry Draft why not make some predictions. I'm in Eugene, OR and the Pacific Time Zone has thrown me off some.

I'm not an NHL scout or anything cool like that, I'm just making predictions for the fun of it. See how close (or far away) I am when the names are announced tonight and tomorrow.

Jake Gardiner - late first round, this seems rather likely based on most mock drafts

Cody Goloubef - late first round, I think Cody has really vaulted up the draft lists, and wouldn't be surprised to see him land w/ Detroit. Maybe 3 years from now we can watch Brendan Smith and Cody on the same line after finishing up their Wisconsin careers.

Patrick Wiercioch - late 2nd round, from the one time I saw him play, I really like this kid.

Justin Schultz - early 3rd round, his strength is an issue, which won't be an issue after several seasons in Madison.

Derek Stepan - late 3rd round, solid player who I'm really looking forward to seeing next season.

Tyler Barnes - 5th round, don't know much about him, looking forward to seeing him play next season in the USHL.

Jordy Murray - 5th round, the Blues take him here and in 4 years he could be playing for his dad. I think in general, Shattuck's kids will go higher than there NHL Central Scouting rankings.

Chase Drake - 6th round, he has a lot of room to grow and 2 season in the USHL and several in Madison could make him a real deal at this point.

Matt Thurber - 6th round, though not ranked in NHL Central Scouting, he has the ability to be a Joe Pavelski IMO. I can't wait to see him play.

Brock Montpetit - 7th round, he has a lot of skill, and should have a great season for Waterloo in the USHL next year.

Just looking at this list of players, its pretty outstanding that 4 of our Dmen recruits or players should be drafted in the top half of the draft. The coaching staff is doing a great job of bringing these kids in, and hats off to them for having so many kids in the Pipeline who could be drafted this weekend.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey