Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A couple more Dan Koch links

Earlier today, Gandalf linked Baggot's blog post announcing Koch's decision to leave Wisconsin for Shattuck St. Mary's. Baggot now has a bit more in his article for tomorrow's WSJ. Baggot mentions Tom Osiecki as a potential candidate to fill Koch's spot with the Badgers, but I don't know if that's just speculation on Baggot's part right now or if there's more to it. You might remember that Osiecki has been coaching the USA Hockey's women's residency program (aka Blaine Residency). He also spent a year as an assistant coach for the gopher women when Brad Frost took over the reins from Laura Halldorson.

Here are some quotes from the UW's official announcement:
"Leaving Wisconsin is the hardest decision I have had to make in my professional career," said Koch. "I am leaving a great program, with great staff and players. I am excited for the opportunity to be a head coach and it will be a good move for my entire family."

"Dan has an opportunity to move on and be a head coach and take his family to a prep school," said Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson. "He has been a great asset for us the past seven years. He has played a major role in building our program and we know he will do great things at Shattuck-St. Mary’s. We wish him the best of luck and we will miss him."

"Mark has been a mentor for me the past seven years and I appreciate everything he has done for me and I have learned from him," Koch said. "He is not only one of the best hockey minds, but he has taught me so much about life as well."

Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey