Sunday, March 28, 2010

Frozen Four in Detroit? It's Been Done...

As noted by both Tom Oates (in his article from Madison.com linked here two posts ago) and by an anonymous commentor in the "Welcome to Detroit City" post, we've had success in Detroit in the past.

Of the five Frozen Fours that have been in Detroit, we've been to two of them (1977 at the Olympia and 1990 at the Joe). And we won them both.

For a small variety of reasons, I'm not interested in that fact to try to claim that we're destined to win in Detroit. I'm not a superstitious man, but for the sake of any superstitious readers out there, I have no interest in jinxing our team and that's reason enough for me.

Instead, I'm interested in that fact because its a fun excuse to revisit history. Namely, this highlight reel of the 1990 championship game at the Joe. Embedding is disabled for this video, so I'm just providing the link. I swear I'm not RickRolling you guys.

And no mention of 1990 is complete without a reminder: Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets., it's a great motto about how to approach hockey. If you wanted to live your life by that motto... well, you could do a lot worse, that's for sure.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey