Thursday, March 4, 2010

Woods Excited To Be A Badger

As we alerted you to this afternoon, the Badgers landed another piece of their 2011 recruiting class when they got a verbal commitment from Chicago Steel forward Brendan Woods.

I spoke with Brendan late Wednesday night and he was excited about his commitment to Wisconsin. "It's unreal, I cant wait."

When asked about what made Wisconsin his choice over the other great schools on his list, there was no doubt coach Eaves NHL experience was a factor.

"I Just thought it was the best fit for me. I know that Coach Eaves has coached at the top levels, so he knows what it takes to get there which is good for me and the rest of the team."

Woods is going to be an NHL draft pick this summer, most likely in the top 4-5 rounds but doesn't seem too worried about the pressure of performing for the NHL scouts.

"I try not to pay to much attention to it I'm just trying to concentrate on getting back to a 100% and making sure I'm working hard. And then the other stuff I just let it take care of itself."

When Woods refers to getting back to 100%, he's talking about a leg injury he suffered early in the season at the Buc Bowl when he took a knee to knee hit.

"At the hospital after x rays they told me i was done for the year. It was pretty tough to take in, but my mom told me to wait until I saw the capitals doctor (His father is an assistant coach with the NHL's Washington Capitals). I saw him and he said I'd be on the ice by December."

Going through an injury like that has to be tough for an 17 year old in his first season in the brutal grind of the United States Hockey League.

"I just tried staying positive during it all. My progress is alright, I feel like I've come a long way but I still know I have a little to go to get back to 100%."

Woods Chicago Steel will be in action tomorrow night against the Sioux Falls Stampede at 7:05. They are at home next in Chicago on Friday March 12th. Also of note, the Steel will be in Green bay on March 20th so you can catch Woods and 2010 forward recruit Sean Little in action.

Follow me on Twitter
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey