Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A few Tuesday evening links

  • First off, I've had several posts today, and I'm afraid that I've bumped Chuck's USA Hockey Select 17 Recap down the page. So I thought I'd start out linking it here so that no one misses it.
  • DJ Powers of Hockey's Future is covering the DU Pioneers Alumni team at the Snoopy's Senior World Hockey Tournament (Santa Rosa, CA) for LetsGoDU. She was kind enough to pass on to me that Danny Geoffrion (Blake's father) is competing with the Nashville Old Notes. The Nashville team plays in a different age division than the DU Alum team, but DJ tells me that she hopes to see Nashville play on Wednesday when their group (50C) begins tournament play. And she said she'd let us know if she does. Thanks, DJ!

    By the way, DJ also tells us that Michigan Head Coach Red Berenson is playing for the Michigan Wolverines team.
  • The other day, someone found our site by googling Matt Doman. So, (naturally!) I googled Matt Doman as well. I knew he was head coach of the Stillwater Bantam A program, but I didn't know that he's President and a Head Trainer of The EDGE Performance Hockey Training Center.

    And taking a look at the "Trainers" section of their website, I found that John Funk is also Director of Hockey Operations and a Head Trainer. His bio indicates that last year he coached St. Thomas Academy to the state championship and that he's currently Head Coach of the Stillwater Pee Wee A team and the Player Development Coordinator for the Stillwater Area Hockey Association. So if you wondered where John Funk had gotten off to, now you know!

    Here's an article about Doman and Funk co-founding the center.

    Oh, and scrolling down the trainers section, I also see that former Badger assistant coach Troy Ward is on their staff. Ward is also currently an assistant coach and assistant GM for the AHL's Houston Aeros (Minnesota Wild affiliate).
  • In an interview at the Caps development camp, Joe Finley looks a little uncomfortable about being asked about slashing Bucky. Plus he sounds like a dumbass. (Skip to 7:55 or so of the interview.)
  • I can't seem to get away from the Dale Tallon news today, even though it's not necessarily Badger-related news. (But like I said previously, with several Badgers in the Blackhawks system, I find this to be an item of interest.) The Illegal Curve isn't surprised that Tallon was reassigned, but rather by the timing of everything. TSN says that the RFA qualifying offers blunder was not a major factor in the reassignment, and The Hockey News backs that up with some analysis of the RFA contracts.

    The Blackhawks website has several clips from today's presser -- Clip 1, Clip 2, Clip 3, Clip 4, Clip 5, Clip 6.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey