Monday, May 31, 2010

Recruiting Update Part 3: Morgan Zulinick

Sunday night I started making a post of recruiting notes that I've been getting together lately. As I was working on this, the post got very, very long so I decided to break it into posts for specific players. I've got 5 updates and I've programed the site to post an update every two hours on the hour.
---------------------------------
Guy Flaming from the "Coming Down The Pipe Blog", was also kind enough to inform us that the most recent Badger recruit Morgan Zulinick, a projected 2012 recruit also was a no show this weekend at the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL) camp. Zulinick was a third round draft pick if the Oil Kings.

Zulunick, a British Columbia native is considered a major possible flight risk to the WHL. After he committed last week, I had the chance to interview him and he didn't exactly ease the blood pressure of Badger fans when asked about the Oil Kings:

"As for right now, I am focused on the NCAA route. I am also young and need some more time to develop. My future with the Oil Kings is not over; it is just delayed right now. I am more focused on school and would like an education."

The recent news that he was a no show at Oil Kings camp this weekend is MAJOR positive news for Badger fans. NCAA kids are allowed to participate in camp so for Zulinick to not even show up sends a strong message that he is destined to play in Madison. Although he still has two full seasons of junior before he ever steps foot in a classroom on the UW Campus.

Zulinick told me last week that this upcoming season he will be playing with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks where many recent/future Badgers have played. I spoke with one of those former Silverbacks yesterday, Mark Zengerle and he had some brief thoughts on Zulinick.

"That kid is a player. He practiced with us a few times last season probably could have been one of our better players this season."

Not bad for a 15 year old kid.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey