Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I Want To See This Weekend

Since some of us weren't able to make it to St. Louis last weekend to see our Badgers' first games of the year (jealously looking at you, 60min...), this weekend will be the first time we're seeing the guys in game action. And in my case, one of only a handful of series I'll be able to attend. That said, there are a few things I want to see this team show me this weekend against a team from a place that won't get natural ice all winter.

1. I want a freshman to blow me away
Four years ago, I traveled to Green Bay to see the Badgers and Northern Michigan play a series at the Resch Center. One young, small kid amazed me with his speed and ability, scoring two goals in his debut. He'd go on to have some issues in practice before developing into an excellent offensive playmaker, topping 50 points in his senior year. That's right, of all the freshman in the 2006-07 class, Michael Davies impressed me the most in his first set of games. I want to see someone amaze me again this weekend.

2. I want to see leadership on the ice
During Adam Burish's two-year term as captain, there was no question who the emotional leader of the Badgers was, and it showed on the ice. The same can be said for Blake Geoffrion last year. In the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons, however, it was not as obvious to me. That's not to say that Andrew Joudrey or Davis Drewiske weren't good captains; I'm sure they were. They just didn't seem to me to have the swagger that those young teams needed from their leaders. I want to see Sean Dolan and Jake Gardiner exuding confidence on the ice and stepping up big in the toughest spots.

3. I want to see scoring from everyone and everywhere
I think a key to this team is getting points from every line and defensive pair. We'll need power-play blasts from Justin Schultz and Jake Gardiner at the blue line; we'll need garbage goals from Dolan, Ryan Little, and company; we'll need great playmaking from Craig Smith and Ginger Jordy Murray; and we'll need some of the young defensemen to lend a hand on the offensive end. Last week the scoring was spread out widely, with 12 different players on the scoresheet - this Badger team should have success if that continues.

4. I want to see two wins
This goes without saying. I'll be bummed if we end up with less than 4 points anything other than a sweep.

And I'll leave you with one more:
5. I want to meet a lot of fellow Badger fans at 60's tailgate
That one's pretty self-explanatory as well. Hope to see you all there!

Tex on Twitter
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey