Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hobey Hat Trick

First off, I would like to thank 60min for letting me be part of the blog. I'm excited to write about Badger Hockey, both Men's and Women's, and giving updates about recruits. I'm sure I'll throw in my thoughts on my favorite alumni too. This should be a lot of fun.

The Hobey Hat Trick was announced yesterday. The Hat Trick consists of BC's Nathan Gerbe, Miami's Ryan Jones and Michigan's Kevin Porter.

I certainly was surprised by this, as were every North Dakota fan. I figured Jean-Philippe Lamoureux would be among the trio. I certainly figured Kevin Porter was going to win, but JPL has been one of the best goalies in the nation this year (and yes it hurts to write that).

Really if Brian Elloit didn't win the Hobey 2 years ago, no goalie deserves to win it. You can't get much better than that, and if a goalie did, I would acknowledge it.

In general, the Hobey Baker is a joke of an award anyway. The examples are endless, but Richard Bachman of CC is a prefect example from this season. He was named WCHA POY and Top Goalie, yet isn't even named a finalist for the award. The fact that he is a freshman is irrelevant, I thought it was an award for the best player in the country? I've also heard rumors that they weren't going to give the award to another Front Range player, as CC and Denver have each had winners this decade, and Eric Ehn of Air Force was a finalist last year.
Hockey Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Wikio - Top Blogs - Hockey